Monday, May 4, 2009

Great deals, Good days

Patience plays a part in finding a good deal because its more then a dollar amount to me. Its about holding back that impulse of a certain "must have" and making a decision that unless my life will be changed by this particular item, I have an option of waiting.

I usually make a list at home of things that I want and then I start to pay attention to how much they cost in different places and the availability of that particular item. As I browse around I estimate the amount that I would definitely buy it for and make a decision that if I was to spot it that would be the time to buy it.


Sometimes I find things because I don't give in, like my blinds. I don't know the original cost of these roman shades but to buy the blinds we had wanted from Home Depot would have been 250 dollars. The decision to wait, and be okay with having nothing was rewarding when I found them for 30 dollars. They covered more then just four windows but all our embarrassing moments as well!


Some times I stumble upon them unintentionally, like my Bodem tea pot only a month ago. The original cost of these is about 30 dollars and I got mine for 2.99. I was pretty excited, this teapot serves me well everyday when I drink my tea in my now private kitchen.


Some times it comes from persistence. I have been going to Good Will weekly for 4 months in hopes of finding a mirror I saw in Target for 99 dollars.Even though I really wanted it I promised myself that I would only buy it if I happened to find it there. I did. It was 30 dollars and still packaged. I think it was specifically donated for me.


Sometimes it comes from compromise like my Sam Edelman shoes that I purchased today for 3.99. My size is 5.5 but they were size 6, I figured that padding my shoe was better then spending 119 dollars for a pair of flats. Yellow seems to be popular, especially this shade so I was pretty lucky to have found them. The sun shines down to the tips of my feet in comfort.

They are always unexpected but always awaited and I think that good deals are anywhere you go consistently enough to look for them. Mine happens to be in Good will but I know people who rave about Fred Meyers, the 1 cent shelves in Walmart and garage sales. Where do you go and what did you find? What's your story.

Patient, hope.

6 comments:

  1. Goodwill too! And Value Village. I don't know if anything makes me happier than finding something I SWEAR would be sold at anthropologie for $140 at Goodwill for $2.

    So Happy!

    Good job, everything you scored is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you go to Value village often? I heard they have a 50% off everything sale once a month and I want to know when that is so if you happen to find out please let me know :)
    Happy Browsing,
    Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE ALL YOUR DEALS I LOVE COMMING TO YOUR HOME AND SERCHING FOR THE NEW ITEM LOLO IT LIKE A GAME LOLO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I keep you entertained. We love having you guys over, keep coming, keep searching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I live right by the biggest outlet mall in Wa, so i do all of my kids next years winter/ summer shopping there. I just bought my kids about 10 winter outfits EACH for under 100 bucks.. Im all set for the winter;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I need to check that out. When do you feel like having company?

    ReplyDelete