Friday, December 10, 2010

Branch off


For me, it was time to branch off of the typical center pieces and create something I was excited about. So when I saw a recipe for these branches in a Martha Stewart magazine, thoughts started racing inside of my head. Immediately I was inspired by the wonderful stump that Natalie had given me, a dessert order, and of course Martha. Can I just say that it was hard not to make something spectacular, a piece that I was proud of showcasing in the center of my table.

Russian Branches Cookie

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Course Salt
2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
1/4 cup Sugar
2 tbsp Brandy or Rum
1 tbsp Lemon Zest
1 Tbsp Orange Zest
10 cups Safflower oil
or Veggie Oil
Confectioners Sugar

In a medium bowl sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until it turns pale yellow. Add the brandy, lemon zest, and orange zest. Beat to incorporate. Add the flour and mix together. Knead together.

Let the dough rest covered at room temperature for one hour. After it rests roll the dough out in a rectangle, about 1/8 of an inch. Cut into thin strips and shape into branches by stretching the dough out. Deep fry in a large skillet on medium heat until golden brown.

Assemble in a vase, or decorate on a favorite dessert. Powder with Confectioners Sugar.

Towering, Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment