Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Polentina soup

For all of you ladies that love to make baby food for your children, here is a great soup that I have been making. It has a great consistency and I usually mix in a veggie like carrots or squash.

I like making it for the whole family and letting the kids add their own veggies in it, like corn or spinach. Eugene and I would usually add jalapeño to ours, but it tastes great plain as well.

Soup recipe:

1 tbsp butter
1/2 white onion
1 quart chicken stock
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
2 fresh parsley, chopped
2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 - 1/2 cup coarse cornmeal
(depending on if you want a thinner or thicker soup)
Salt
Half a bunch of spinach, washed and trimmed
Parmesan cheese shavings(optional)

*if making it as baby food, I make the herbs and spinach optional, just depending if I have those on hand or not.

Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add the onion and sauté until soft. Add the stock, garlic, and herbs. Bring to a boil. Add the cornmeal and season with salt. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the cornmeal is tender but the mixture is soupy. Stir frequently, about 15 minutes.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach and stir until wilted. Remove from heat.

Remove the bay leaf from the soup. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with spinach and Parmesan.

2 comments:

  1. Nadia!
    Hey you should come to our next Portland Bloggers Meet! Its this Saturday! I'm not sure if you got the information in your email or not, but I posted about it on facebook too!
    Hope to see you come! It was really nice to have you last time!

    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nadia, I will just assume this recipe is just for me and my yummy obsession with polenta! Can't wait to try it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete